Reporting to the Company’s General Director, the Drilling Operations Manager will be responsible for:
• Providing leadership, effective direction, reporting and co-ordination for all activities related to the Company’s shelf and deepwater operations.
• Overseeing the Company’s six platforms and increasing the number of slots per platform.
• Delivering strategies which enable the Company to achieve best in class QHSE, enhanced operational performance through creating departmental synergies, integration of new methodologies & processes and employee selection, development and management.
• Making safety a priority – focusing on delivering the project safely and on time.
• Develop key partnerships aimed at performance, maintaining operational standards and fiscal gains.
You are responsible for delivering on the key accountabilities for this role which will be discussed and agreed with you as part of the Company’s performance management process. These include:
• Act as the key stakeholder in the development, application and evolution of the Operational Drilling Strategy.
• Review, adapt and amend existing company policies to bring in line with the operational strategy.
• Where required; select internal and/or external operational teams to develop new practices, standards, manuals and approaches to achieve a successful implementation of the Operational Strategy.
• Integrate Deepwater and Shelf drilling activity.
• Develop a project review procedure for ongoing improvement and lessons learnt.
• Integrate Deepwater and Shelf drilling activity to achieve & maximise operational synergies.
• Standardise and direct the creation of policies for improvement in contract and procurement activities within the drilling department.
• Ensure tight fiscal controls and ongoing management & improvement via effective KPI’s, competitor analysis and appropriate IT platforms.
• In conjunction with the Human Resources and Training & Development departments, develop selection, training and ongoing appraisal methods for all personnel within the drilling department.
• Develop a “Pathway to Excellence” personnel development programme for the drilling department focussing on upskilling and retention goals whilst reducing senior and expatriate hiring.
• Support the business development department in the successful bidding and award of future work.
• Develop and document, via the company’s personnel, an improved tender to award ratio by applying an “operators view” on tender expectation and qualification.
• Create strategic partnerships to deliver consistency, fiscal gain and improved standards in all areas of the drilling department where third-party suppliers are engaged.
• Lead and strategize the development of all capital projects' cost projection and forecasting through joint review & discussions with project teams in line with business strategy to ensure cost effectiveness and competitiveness to maximize value return.
• Develop and perform project execution plan encompassing contracting strategy, scheduling and phasing, cost estimates and risk mitigation in project development whilst ensuring operations follow company and client policies and procedures.
• Directs, coordinates and reviews technical and feasibility studies covering drilling and workover related operations including comparison between current verses new procedures and proposed equipment for the company's operations.
• Reviews drilling/workover operations daily and recommends changes in priorities and programs, manages the best utilization of resources, assignment of personnel and budgets in the light of accomplishments and changing operating conditions.
• Fully familiar and enforces the company's quality, health, safety and environmental policy, procedures, regulations and objectives as they relate to areas of responsibility ensures that they are effectively implemented in his domain.
Management of Drilling Team
• Acts as a focal point for issues related to Drilling Operations with respect to other divisions within the organisation.
• Drives teams to continually improve well-site safety procedures and ensures proper application of such procedures.
• Leads direct teams, liaises with partners and keeps management abreast of activities during emergency situations, i.e. well blowouts, release of H2S gas, oil spill, etc.
• Mentors and participates in the ongoing training and development of assigned national employees in conjunction with the ‘Pathway to Excellence’ methodology
Knowledge, competencies, skills and experience required
• At least 20 years of experience in Petroleum Engineering or Drilling Operations and 10 years in a management position.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience within an Operator.
• Experience in managing operations on and offshore including deepwater >4k ft.
• The ability to lead, motivate and provide expert operational advice to the whole Company.
• A can-do attitude and the ability to be adaptable.
• An excellent work ethic.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to both the most junior and senior staff.
• To be outgoing and imperturbable in the face of challenges.
• Innovative, entrepreneurial approach to problem solving
• High intellectual ability as evidenced by ability to identify and prioritise key strategic issues
• Demonstrated leadership skills and a team player
• Successful experience in ERO and HPHT wells drilling management
• Primary degree in Engineering (preference Petroleum)
• Accreditation to professional bodies preferred
• Member of appropriate professional bodies preferred
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Effective verbal and written communications skills
• Consultative approach to problem solving and decisive when necessary
• Ability to adapt in a dynamic and changing work environment
• Ability to think laterally
• Ability to identify, analyse and solve problems
• Ability to organise work activities to identify and take advantage of efficiency and improvement opportunities
• Ability to communicate plans and ideas at all interaction levels required
• Demonstrated ability in developing improved operational performance
Development, Coordination, Implementation & Monitoring
• Ability to develop, coordinate and implement systems, plans and procedures
• Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel at an advanced level
• Ability to think laterally and work under pressure
• Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Company
Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Responsibilities (QHSE)
• The Drilling Operations Manager will comply with all relevant Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental Legislation, codes of practice, standards, policies, operating procedures and work instructions and be actively involved in the Company’s Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Systems and Procedures.
• As a member of the senior management team, demonstrates ‘best Practice’ Quality, Health, Safety, and Environmental leadership through own actions and support of the Company’s QHSEM’s, policies, systems and procedures.
Oil and Gas