The position of Legal Counsel is responsible for giving accurate and timely counsel to executives and the team in a variety of legal topics. The successful candidate will also be overseeing the legal aspects of the business and working with contracts. Reports directly to the CFO.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Drafting, reviewing, and advising on Production Sharing Agreements, Risk Sharing Agreements, Purchase and Sale Agreements associated with the oil & gas asset acquisitions:
o preparing memos for executive team, internal and external discussions of key issues, ongoing negotiations, risks, opportunities etc.;
o coordinating and conducting thorough legal and tax due diligence of oil & gas assets.
• Assisting in establishing and on-going running of the corporate structure with offices in different locations: assisting with opening bank accounts in foreign jurisdictions, managing contacts with various local and international legal and tax consultants, preparing and/or advising on employment, insurance and other administrative contracts, ensuring smooth running and compliance with the authorities of the different jurisdictions.
• Developing and maintaining contract management systems and corporate group governance framework.
• Drafting, reviewing and advising on various business, financial, tax and legal consultant agreements related to oil & gas asset acquisitions.
• Analyzing information provided by the sellers, their agents and third-party consultants as well as information made available by the third-party resources such as Woodmac and IHS to assist in the structuring of commercial and legal terms of potential oil & gas asset acquisitions.
• Drafting letters and various other correspondence in English, Azerbaijani and Russian with the governments and their agencies in different jurisdictions.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 5+ years’ broad experience as a Legal Counsel in the international oil and gas business environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Law; a legal qualification in Azerbaijan or internationally used law (e.g. English law, New York bar) is a plus.
• Excellent knowledge and experience working with Production/Risk Sharing agreements.
• Establishing and running corporate structure in Azerbaijan and abroad.
• Experience with developing and maintaining contract management systems and corporate group governance framework.
• Excellent Azerbaijani, English and Russian.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
• Knowledge and experience in the upstream oil and gas business generally, with emphasis on valuation and New Venture/M&A work.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
• Excellent knowledge with global PSA regimes, including Azerbaijan and other FSU countries; knowledge of SOCAR policies, procedures is a plus.
• Superior time management abilities and capable of meeting deadlines.
• Well-developed sense of integrity and business ethics.
• Outstanding communication skills.