The fast-growing Oil Company is currently recruiting for a Directional Drilling Engineer.
Directional Driller Engineers control the direction of a wellbore with a variety of specialized bottom hole assembly (BHA) tools and configurations designed to steer a drilling head. They monitor information transmitted from several downhole and surface sensors to measure the real-time performance of a drilling operation.
Directional Driller Engineers work with other well services members at the well site. They coordinate closely with the measurement while drilling (MWD) specialist to collect data that keeps a drilling project on track
1. Adherence to Company policies with respect to the conduct of directional drilling and surveying operations
2. Becoming thoroughly familiar with the Well Programme and the requirements relating to the directional operations contained therein;
3. Checking the accuracy and completeness of the prognosed well plots prior to the commencement of drilling operations;
4. Ensuring the rig site inventory meets the programme requirements and liaising with the Drilling Supervisor to ensure future requirements are available in good time;
5. Providing standard daily reports to the Drilling Supervisor comprising a summary of drilling activity, the drilling assembly in use, drilling parameters, survey data, equipment requirements, proposed BHA’s and recommendations for operations optimisation;
6. Directly supervising the Driller in the application of drilling parameters and practice to ensure smooth directional control over the well;
7. Maintaining up-to-date survey calculations and projections and working to maintain the well path within the tolerances as specified in the Drilling Programme;
8. Providing BHA design, supervision and maintenance expertise and ensuring that all recommended BHA designs are suitable with respect to Survey Programme requirements;
9. Maintaining records of drilling parameters and BHA performance during drilling operations to facilitate analysis at the well review stage;
10. Supervising hole opening, reaming and tripping operations to monitor hole conditions and prevent unintended sidetracking of the well;
11. Maintaining up-to-date records on all directional equipment on-board to ensure timely return for re-inspections, redress or over-haul.
Requirements and skills
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Petroleum Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, other related Engineering field, or foreign equivalent;
• Be on call outside of standard working hours;
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills;
• Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills;
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
• Ability to work on tight deadlines;
• Knowledge of English and Russian is crucial.
• Directional drilling engineer experience;
• Familiarity with Landmark's COMPASS™ directional well planning software;
• 3+ years of experience in engineering or operations within the upstream industry.